Saturday, February 28, 2009

The Story of Saint Udhanga (Rishi)

This is a story during Mahabharat period. After the war was over and Pandavas emerged victorious, the saint udhanga met Lord Krishna. During that time, big saints and rishis had the authority to question the Lord by virtue of their penance powers.

The saint asked, Krishna why did you took the fight in the first instance, see now beacuse of that so many good people also had to suffer, so many innocent people lost their life and he went on narrating...

Lord Krishna just smiled and asked the Saint, I'm pleased with your question, but I cannot answer you immediately, however in appreciation of your question I wanted to give you a boon. You ask whatever boon you want to said the Lord.

The saint replied, Hey Krishna, I'm a saint, I've no family nor any possession; what material things I can ask you? However, I travel a lot, cover miles together and at times may have to cross the hot and humid conditions of desert. So you please give me a boon that whenever I get thirst, I should get water immediately.

Lord Krishna bestowed him the boon...

After some time, when the saint was crossing through the desert, he felt so thirsty and remembered immediately the boon given by Shri Krishna.

To his surpise a man appears to be like a hunter came in front of him. The looks of the hunter made the saint wonder what a boon Krishna has given him, becasue he was holding all the hunting equipments soaked in blood, the dress he wore was made of animal skin with blood stains and huge pieces of meat was hanging in his shoulders. Yet the hunter asked the saint, do you need something to drink.

Thinking at the external appearance of the person, the saint refused to take anything from him. The saint thought why Shri Krishna is playing with him by assuring something which eventually does not happen. He said, hey krishna did not get anyone else to play your leelas?

Then appeared Shri Krishna in front of him and said, saint, why you did not take the water from the hunter?

Actually he was not a hunter but Lord Indra himself has come to offer you. He was not offering water rather the nectar itself (Amrut). Had you taken that never in your life you will be in want of water. Krishna continued... the moment I gave you the boon, I met Indra and told him to provide you water whenever you feel thirsty.

As you know Lord Indra is incharge of all the other devas and thus the job of Varuna (the rain god) has to be approved by Indra. Instead Indra said, I will give him amrut instead of water. Krishna said it's upto you.

The fate was that the Saint could not recognise the play and he could not drink the nectar.

Realising his mistake and ignorance the saint said, Krishna now I understood where I stand in my ascent.

I'm still at the first step and has a long way to reach the top. Without realizing this, I tried to question you. Please forgive me. He also realized that the question he asked Shri Krishna about the Mahabharath battle was totally out of his ignorance.

Similar to the story, Shri Mataji is ready to give us the nectar by way of spiritual enlightenment but we as normal human beings fail to recognize that and instead all the time we keep fighting with ourselves (SIX ENEMIES WITHIN), the lust, greed, anger etc....

Conquer your emotions and feelings, let's prepare ourselves for the nectar.

No comments:

Post a Comment